Every reasonable effort has been made to ensure that the information given is correct, but Mushroom Publishing cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions.
To avoid disappointment, we recommend that you contact the venue ahead of your visit to check the details.
Please contact us with your suggestions, ideas, comments, or new information.
University of Oxford
The information presented on these Oxford pages is based on the Oxford City Centre Street Map and Guide 1999
Most colleges are open to the public for a few hours each afternoon, and some are open all day. Some colleges have an admission charge. Details are displayed at each college gatehouse or can be obtained at Oxford Information Centre.
The Oxford University Home Page offers links to all University colleges, departments, libraries and student bodies.
ALL SOULS, High Street (D3). Founded in 1437 by Henry Chichele, Archbishop of Canterbury, and Henry VI as a memorial to the dead of The Hundred Years War. See the sundial designed by Wren, the Quad by Hawksmoor, and the Codrington Library.
BALLIOL, Broad Street (C2). Founded around 1263 by John Balliol. The college was poor, and educated mainly clergymen until its master of 1870, Benjamin Jowett, determined to raise the intellectual and public profile of Balliol. Many of the buildings, including the chapel, date from this time and many eminent Victorians studied here.
BRASENOSE, Radcliffe Square (D3). Founded in 1509 on the site of Brasenose Hall. The brass knocker, stolen from the hall in 1333 and recovered in 1890, from which the college gets its name, is on show in the hall.
CHRIST CHURCH, St. Aldate's (D4). Founded in 1525 by Wolsey. "Tom Tower", designed by Wren, is named after the bell it houses, "Great Tom", which rings out 101 times at 9pm. The college hall is well worth seeing, as is the Great Quad with the Mercury Fountain.
EXETER, Turl Street (D3). Founded in 1314 by Walter de Stapledon, Bishop of Exeter. The chapel has a tapestry by William Morris and Edward Burne-Jones who, like Tolkien and actor Richard Burton, were undergraduates here.
JESUS, Turl Street (C3). Founded by Elizabeth I and Dr. Hugh Price in 1571 for Welsh scholars. The college has a valuable collection of Welsh manuscripts including the 14th century Red Book of Hergest.
MAGDALEN, High Street (F3). Founded in 1458. Has examples of impressive architecture from many periods, and extensive grounds which include a deer park and beautiful meadows. Graduates include John Betjeman, and Oscar Wilde. The choir sings a hymn from the 15th century bell-tower at 6am on May Day morning every year following an old Oxford tradition.
NEW COLLEGE, New College Lane (E3). Founded in 1379. The chapel, hall and gate tower date from the 14th century. The chapel contains a wealth of art treasures, including its stained glass, statue of Lazarus, and carved stone reredos. Part of the old city wall surrounds the gardens.
ST EDMUND HALL, Queen's Lane (E3). The only surviving medieval hall of residence; it didn't become a college until 1957. The medieval church is now the library, and it is possible to see the Norman crypt.
UNIVERSITY, High Street (E3). First endowed in 1249, but the medieval buildings were replaced in the 17th century. A memorial to the poet Shelley, who was expelled from the college in 1811, is in the Front Quad.
WORCESTER, Worcester Street (B2). Founded in 1714 on the site of former monastic buildings. Donations in the 18th century enabled new buildings to be added to the medieval ones providing an interesting contrast.
For further information about Oxford, including a free visitor pack, please contact the Oxford Information Centre.
BATH | CAMBRIDGE | CANTERBURY | CHESTER | EXETER | LANCASTER | MORECAMBE | OXFORD | SALISBURY | STRATFORD-ON-AVON | WELLS